Friday, November 30, 2007

Countdown to the holidays, part 2

Tonight, as I was sitting down to do some studying, my husband interrupted, mentioning that I had promised to wrap presents tonight, and to go over all of the gifts we've gathered so far. I sighed and then stared at all the bags and boxes he had unearthed from our bedroom closet and under our bed. I knew that it had to be done, but it always seems like such a chore. Six years ago as we were preparing for the arrival of our son, we got all of the presents ready before Thanksgiving, just in case he was born early. Ever since, we've tried to be ready for Hanukkah a few days before. It took us a couple of hours, but we sorted out the presents for each of our kids, and wrapped all of them. We need to get a few more things for our daughter. It's always a relief to have the the presents ready before the holiday. They will be getting a lot of books this year. The kids really do enjoy the presents, and we enjoy their happy smiles.

Earlier in the week, I stopped at a local coffee shop that carries the beeswax candles that fit our Menorah, which was handcrafted by my father. The beeswax candles are the only type that fit the candle holders, which anchor the candles with spikes. Years ago, I used to buy the wax from a bee keeper and make my own. My husband and I would spend a couple of nights cutting the wax into the right size, heating the individual pieces with a hair dryer and then rolling a wick into the wax. Obviously, we haven't had time for this luxurious craft in years. When I found the $12 box of pre-made candles, I knew that my candle-making days were over, and now I buy them every year.

Tomorrow, I need to order some nut-free chocolate!

1 comment:

Starasia said...

I never knew you made your own candles!! This reminds me of all the wrapping I need to do!