Monday, November 19, 2007

Corn husks

This afternoon, I noticed that my daughter needed corn husks to bring to class tomorrow. She had mentioned that she was going to make the corn husk dolls in class, but never told me about the requirement of bringing in the corn husks. I finally read the note on her homework reminder sheet. On the way home from school, I kept thinking, where in the world am I going to get corn husks in Brooklyn with less than one day's notice. But it was my lucky day. A few weeks ago, my husband bought two sets of mini dried colored corn at the green market, with dried corn husks. So, I cut off the tops and put them in her backpack.

Sometimes the number of things that are required from parents approach the ridiculous. There are many many tests and permission slips to sign, and many opportunities to donate food to parties. For example, there's a Thanksgiving feast in the classroom on Wednesday. I had to admit that I can't cook for this event. I bought a cherry pie that I might bring to Thanksgiving Dinner or I could give it to the classroom. But I also have a gallon of apple cider that will work just fine.

Not that I mind participating, but I do feel overwhelmed. I don't like it when I miss something that I was supposed to do and it affects my daughter! I need to remind her constantly to participate in reminding me!

1 comment:

Starasia said...

I completely feel the same way, and I also think that b/c it is Park Slope, they have the right to ask us for so much money and supplies! It never ends.