Monday, November 26, 2007

Countdown to birthday party

I don't know how I did this, but we will be celebrating my son's birthday for about 3 days. On Friday, December 14, I will need to bring in 2 dozen cupcakes for his class to celebrate. On Saturday, December 15, we have the party at the karate studio from 2-4, and there will have to be a cake or more cupcakes. I invited 30 kids including his whole class plus a few others. So far, I've only heard from a few people, and many have declined. It's such a busy time of the year. I figured if I had at least a 50% acceptance rate, I'd have a good crowd for him. I bought a pinata, and now I have to order the treats to fill it. I will also have to provide goodie bags, which are such a waste of money. And I have no idea why I scheduled the party one day before his birthday, when I could have scheduled it on Sunday. At the time I scheduled the party, I was probably under the impression that the karate studio was closed on Sundays. So, on my son's birthday, we'll have yet another celebration, probably anticlimactic, but the presents will keep coming.

Last year, we had my son's party at the New York City Transit Museum ("subway museum"). We had the place to ourselves for about 2 hours. Instead of giving cheap, yet expensive, goodie bags, I gave each child a book about trains. I went crazy with the cake though because I found a train cake pan at Williams-Sonoma and made individual trains and cars and then decorated them all. They looked good, but I don't think that the kids actually ate them. I made chocolate and vanilla, and used various colors of icing.

This year, the kids will go crazy for the cheap treats in the pinata and maybe I'll make chocolate chip cookies and give each child 6. That would be relatively easy. Who really needs another pencil or sticker or cheap plastic toy anyway?

1 comment:

Starasia said...

I so agree about the cheap goodie bag gifts, but it seems like the kids just love them. It is the idea of getting it more than the gift itself! Don't go too crazy with it!