Friday, November 9, 2007

E.T.

As a reward for general good behavior during the last two weeks, I rented a movie for the whole family to see tonight. The kids needed some extra encouragement to get out of the house calmly in the mornings and to transition from the idea of leaving our cozy home and going outside for the walk to school. I set up a chart next to the door that includes all of the routines for morning, bedtime and our after-school activities. If there was a smooth morning or evening, the kids got a sticker for the chart. We had more sticker -days than non-sticker days, so I have to say this system is working for now. We have tried other reward systems that help to get over certain problems, and found that it will work for as long as we support it.

Back to the movie. The kids worked out a dance routine to do just before the movie. A "now enjoy the show" sort of routine. Fantastic! I first saw this movie when it came out in the early 80's, and really loved seeing some of the famous parts again such as the wonderful relationship between Elliot and ET, the dress-up scene, the scene where ET hides in stuffed animal.

I need to go back to studying now. The kids will be off from school on Monday, and I have a quiz on Thursday, so I need to work in studying whenever I can this weekend, and even though I will feel guilty doing it, it's a matter of academic survival at this point.

1 comment:

Starasia said...

oooh, ET--that's a good one. I want to rent it. We have been into musicals over here and we bought the dvd of Annie. That is so much fun. I like the TV disney version with Audra McDonald, Allen Cumming and Kathy Bates. Fantastic!