Friday, November 23, 2007

The Day After Thanksgiving

We celebrated Thanksgiving pretty much in the same style as we have for over fifteen years here at my mom's house in the north section of Newark. My parents have been divorced for over 12 years now, but my dad always returns for this weekend. My brother always comes in from Portsmouth, NH and my husband's parents would come over too, until last year when Doug's mom passed away. Usually there are a few guests as well. Yesterday, our group of 12 included my parents, my brother, my family, and one of my dad's voice students from Mount Scenario College, in Ladysmith, WI with his wife and her son. We had not seen them for a while so the conversation was lively as we all caught up with each other.

The menu was traditional: turkey, giblet gravy, stuffing (made with bread, butter, celery and onions, candied sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce, pineapple sherbet and pie for desert.

My mom's house is impressive. Built in about 1929 before the stock market crash, it features beautiful fittings, alabaster lamps, interesting brass door knobs and leaded glass windows. It's about 3,500 square feet with: 3 bedrooms, each with their own interior bathroom (2 with shower one with a tub; panelled library filled with books; finished attic with 3 cedar storage closets; kitchen with pantry and back staircase to the second floor; full dining room with a large table; finished basement with a bar; laundry in the basement; living room with coat closet and a sun room; formal entryway; front staircase with landing; window seat and a mural on the walls and 2 half baths (for a total of 5 bathrooms). She has a beautiful garden with a fountain, many flowers, lavendar, herbs and vegetables.

1 comment:

Starasia said...

Sounds like you have a great thanksgiving!