Wednesday, October 24, 2007

City Noise

This afternoon, as I was sitting at my desk, trying to study, I suddenly head the jarring sound of jackhammers. Enraged, I yelled out "How am I supposed to work like this," even though no one would hear me or care. Earlier this morning I noticed the characteristic orange fluorescent paint on the road, and realized that there would be some road work to have to put up with. Whenever there is roadwork in the neighborhood, it causes odd traffic jams, and at certain times, depending on what is being worked on, our water will turn a lovely shade of brown.

This is just one of the noises I live with every day in our apartment -- including oil trucks which used to scare my son when he was little, since it seemed like they were going to drive right through our living room. We also hear garbage trucks, twice a week, fire engines, police and ambulance sirens, buses, pigeons, and snoring (I wear earplugs for that). I heard someone practicing the piano today, but it didn't bother me. In the summer, we hear a popular music festival in the park loud and clear, as if we could have a concert in our living room.

No comments: