Friday, October 5, 2007

Staying Home from School?

I remember being sick as a kid and staying home from school. I would usually have some sort of cold, cough and fever. I missed being at school, but I was usually content to sleep and watch TV. My daughter was sick last week. The week before she had a cold and a fever and had to stay home one day. This past week, she needed antibiotics to treat an infection. But the pace of our lives and the lack of back-up childcare made it a very difficult week for her. Even though she wasn't feeling 100%, I sent her to school anyway, and she carried on with many of her activities. One night, we went to an mportant potluck dinner at the religious school she attends, and it would not have been good to miss it. Then there was picture day at school, and the next day there was a field trip to the Natural History Museum. I think that she should have been home for the whole week. I have to ask myself, is the pace of our lives so hectic now that we can't get sick? Sometimes, it is. Last year at this time, just before my husband's mother passed away, he had pneumonia. He was home for one week recovering and that just happened to be the week that one of his authors was visiting for an extended stay. It was very crowded here.

No comments: