Saturday, December 8, 2007

The Mobile Office

I'm working out of my mobile office today, at Brooklyn Public Library's Central Library. Events during the week with my son's asthma led to full days of not being able to do any work on my paper, and I got behind. So, I decided that I couldn't work at home at my desk in the living room with the TV on or toys being dragged out onto the rug, sibling squabbles and the stuffy smell of the latkes we made last night. My son peeled the potatoes, my daughter grated the potatoes and the onions, they both broke the eggs and stirred. I cooked them and my husband had the delightful job of cleaning it all up.

At the library, I still notice the smell of fried potatoes and onions in the bag I brought the laptop in, and in my coat! I found a table in the art and music reference area on the 3rd floor. The last time I was up here, I was here on an emergency, probably about 5 years ago when my son was a baby and my daughter was in preschool. Her school was across the street from the library, so we were in the children's area a lot. That day, the bathrooms on the first floor were out of service, so I was sent to the 3rd floor out of desperation for a changing table, which we really needed.

So, now I'm back on the 3rd floor and a lot has changed. There's a new bathroom, and I have a new mission. I'm working on my research paper for GSLIS 701. The topic is Adult Literacy Programs in Public Libraries. I borrowed my daughter's lap top and I just think it's so amazing. There's a wireless network here, and this computer is new and fast. Now if I can only get used to the keyboard. I think I'm going to have to buy one of these!

Another amazing thing. As I was reading through my research, I heard an announcement that the friends of BPL literacy was having a bake sale here on 3rd floor. I went in and bought a cupcake and a cookbook by the Friends of Literacy group at BPL and met the woman in charge of the literacy program. This is what I'm writing my paper about. She has an office at the Park Slope branch and she invited me to stop by next week for a visit. She's there 9-5! When I got back to my table, I recognized her name in one of the books I'm reading.

The cookbook is a real bonus!

No comments: