Sunday, September 16, 2007

Slumber Party

Last night, we hosted a slumber party for my daughter and five of her friends. I finally have the apartment put back together again, with the floors vacuumed and mopped, and even some of the bedding has been washed. Yesterday, we cleaned up our 400 square foot living room and dining room and rearranged the furniture to accommodate 6 chairs around our round dining room table, 2 twin air mattresses and 1 full air mattress, plus the pull out bed from the couch. No one had to suffer with a sleeping bag on a hard-wood floor!

The girls made candy crafts, ate spaghetti and meatballs, and some of them liked the carrot cake that I made earlier in the day. They played game after game, watched two movies and ate popcorn. One girl painted her face with chocolate from the candy craft, and there were icing and sprinkles all over the floor. At one point, someone threw a pillow case into some spaghetti sauce, so I put stain stick on it and washed it. My husband and son were out for the evening, and I became the server and maid, but I didn't mind. They all had so much fun. In such a hurried world, where many of them complain that they don't have time, it was nice to have them all here for an extended party. I think that they went to sleep at 2:00 a.m. I was sound asleep when my husband got up to quiet them down. We woke up at 8:25 a.m., just in time to put cinnamon buns in the oven and get the girls up before their parents arrived. My daughter was the first to leave because she had a class to go to at 9:30 this morning. I felt bad making her get up for that, but it's just as well that the girls got picked up early. This way they didn't have time to get upset as the morning dragged on. Hopefully, they will all get some rest today before going back to school tomorrow.

During the past week, I have made over 6 dozen cupcakes, 1 honey cake, 1 carrot cake and several batches of vanilla, chocolate and cream cheese frosting. Two dozen cupcakes went to a parent, who won them as a raffle item that I donated last spring to my daughter's school.
3 dozen cupcakes went to my daughter's class on her birthday (in the pouring rain), and the remainder stayed home.


As much as I love to bake and cook, I'm looking forward to a little break from it this week!

Until next time.....

1 comment:

Starasia said...

What do you mean "some of them liked the carrot cake?" You make the best carrot cake in the world!

I guess all the cupcakes you made will give you a taste of what your Cupcakes by Kim business will be like b/c orders will be piling up b/c they taste so good.
Stacey