Saturday, September 29, 2007

Piano Lessons

My daughter is starting her 4th year of piano lessons. For 3 years, we made the trek to the conservatory (about a 30-minute walk away, shorter by bus). It was a beautiful place, and my daughter played a baby grand in a a private classroom. It had the sound of a music school, with notes flying everywhere. It was a beautiful setting, but when her teacher left on a year-long trip overseas, it was time for a change.

I heard my son's piano teacher play last year in a private recital at the Steinway showroom on 57th Street. Wonderful, inspiring! After hearing him and his colleagues play, I started to put together some of my favorite pieces from my days as a piano student (age 5-19). What's really nice is that my technique is still there, even if it does take a while for perfection. The new teacher teaches group lessons at the after-school program. It's a wonderful opportunity for the younger crowd. Private lessons can come later.

In the new arrangement, the teacher comes to our apartment. I never thought that I could see that happening. I never thought that it would be comfortable, especially now. We have a spinet piano that's about 40-50 years old, and it resides in our dining room, opposite the china cabinet. Our round dining room table needs to be moved toward the china cabinet so that there's actually room to sit at the piano. We also have 5 rather large dining-room chairs and Doug's desk chair, formerly located in the office.

So far, after 3 lessons, it seems to be working. She's concentrating on technique right now, and will soon move on to theory. The best part is that I get to listen in!

No comments: